17 August 2024

“The Old Nun’s Prayer” Seems To Regenerate The Old Writer In Me!

 

I saw this Facebook sharing of old friend Charles Castro on Wednesday, 14 Aug 2024, the “Old Nun’s Prayer” in Tagalog; it is from the 17th century and was found in an old English church. Here’s the English version, from theThomas More Center (thomasmorecenter.org):

(image from lifehack.org)

“Old Nun’s Prayer”

Lord, you know better than I know myself
that I am growing older and one day will be old.
Keep me from the fatal habit of thinking I must
say something on every subject
and on every occasion.
Release me from craving to
straighten out everybodys affairs.
Make me thoughtful but not moody;
helpful but not bossy.
With my vast store of wisdom
it seems a pity not to use it all;
but you know, Lord, that I want a few friends at the end.
Keep my mind free from the recital of endless details,
give me wings to get to the point.
Seal my lips on my aches and pains,
they are increasing and love of rehearsing them
is becoming sweeter as the years go by.
I dare not ask for grace enough
to enjoy the tales of others pains,
but help me to endure them with patience.
I dare not ask for improved memory,
but for growing humility and a lessening cocksureness
when my memory seems to clash with the memories of others.
Teach me the glorious lesson that occasionally
I may be mistaken.
Keep me reasonably sweet;
I do not want to be a saint, some of them are so hard to live with,
but a sour old person is one of the
crowning works of the devil.
Give me the ability to see good things in unexpected places
and talent in unexpected people,
and give me O Lord the grace to tell them so.
AMEN.

More or less this applies to me, an indefatigable blogger in the last 24 years, having published some 40,000 articles since 2000!

Lord… Keep me from the fatal habit of thinking I must say something on every subject and on every occasion.

I am 84 years old. I am a Filipino and Facebook hound, you know what I mean. As an agriculturist and a teacher (BSA major in Ag Edu, UP Los Baños 1965), some 4 decades ago, I began teaching myself and I have become a digital writer, editor, and desktop publisher (the man, not the machine). Now, when I read a post or sharing like that on Facebook, I always like to write on it. So, here I am!

With my vast store of wisdom
It seems a pity not to use it all…

With the vast store of others’ wisdom in my head, and the ever-waiting knowledge via the Internet, I almost always want to write, rewrite, and blog!

At 84, how can you blame me if I think and write about “regeneration” – such as “Regenerative Agriculture” (RA) for my country, the Philippines?! RA is for all poor farmers to become rich! And yes, RA seems to regenerate the old writer in me!@517

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pinoy Media 7 – You Mind Duterte, Guo, Quiboloy Etc, But You Don’t Mind The 3 Million Poor Filipino Farmers!

Today, 7 AM Saturday, 28 Sept 2024, I google as follows: news "alice guo" news "sara duterte" news “quiboloy” and I ...