21 July 2020

Journalists, Careful With Your Words – Editors, Careful With Your Journalists!

The moment I read the last 2 words in Revin Mikhael D Ochave’s title of his story in the BusinessWorld Online this morning’s Monday, 20 July 2020, “Philippine Food Security Seen Depending On Maximizing Research[1],” my editor’s instincts told me there was something wrong. (“Being Wrong” image from Compression Institute[2])

And there it was, same mistake by 2 different people – and, already

You know that 2 wrongs don’t make 1 right!

Those mistakes are in the very title of that story, and I repeat:

“Philippine Food Security Seen Depending On Maximizing Research”

Wrong word used, on 2 counts. One, there is no such thing as “minimizing research.” Two, even assuming that there is “maximizing research,” the report has nothing to do with it! 1 fault, 2 faulters.

Before I say more, let me introduce myself. BusinessWorld does not know me from Adam, so let me establish my credentials. I will mention just 3.

One, you can say English is not a foreign language to me, an Ilocano. I am a graduate of UP Los Baños, BS Agriculture with major in Ag Edu, 1965, with a Civil Service eligibility at Professional Level. I fell in love with the (American) English language when I was in high school yet more than 60 years ago. With all those classics, poems, westerns, and Perry Mason, the library was my intellectual home; the Reader’s Digest was my Bible. From them, I got theory and knowledge. My English became American.

Two, I began my unusual career as an Editor In Chief in 1975, Dinosaur Age (big typewriters). I founded and edited the 3 major publications of the Forest Research Institute, FORI: monthly newsletter Canopy, quarterly technical journal Sylvatrop, and quarterly popular magazine Habitat. My English became scientific.

Three, I began my even more unusual career as Editor In Chief after FORI. Self-taught in the Digital Age, I became Editor In Chief of the Philippine Journal of Crop Science, PJCS, in 2003, based at the campus of UP Los Baños. I was a one-man band Editor, Secretary and Layout Artist (Desktop Publisher) for the PJCS for the issues 2001 to 2008, and my total performance was international, so that the journal was included in the elite list (popularly called “ISI”) within 3 years, from being late 3 years. The ISI list includes only those whose scientific publications are of international quality.

Long story short, we go back to Mr Ochave’s story, “Philippine Food Security Seen Depending On Maximizing Research.” The problem there is “maximizing research” – I have never come across such a term or reality!

I blame both the Author and Editor.

I know it was written in a hurry, as most news items are – as you can see in the breathless construction of sentences and sequences of words. Please, when you write about science, about research and development, R&D, especially in agriculture, forget about “maximizing R&D.”

Actually, the BusinessWorld  report was on maximizing the “knowledge economy” in agriculture and maximizing the “intellectual capital” spent towards food security.

That’s capital!@517



[1]https://www.bworldonline.com/philippine-food-security-seen-depending-on-maximizing-research/
[2]https://compression.org/being-wrong-adventures-in-the-margin-of-error-by-kathryn-schulz/


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pinoy Media 7 – You Mind Duterte, Guo, Quiboloy Etc, But You Don’t Mind The 3 Million Poor Filipino Farmers!

Today, 7 AM Saturday, 28 Sept 2024, I google as follows: news "alice guo" news "sara duterte" news “quiboloy” and I ...